Why are you giving your child piano lessons? You may be asking yourself that as the winter holidays come to a close and no one has touched the piano. Let me remind you of some of the reasons you are doing this very good thing.
1)You come from a musical family and the joy of music has is permanently in your DNA. No? How about these reasons:
2) You always wanted your child to be bi-lingual and music is one of the most beautiful languages.
3) Your child showed signs of musicality from the beginning.
4) Playing and reading music is related to achieving intellectually.
5) Musicians have skills in self-discipline
6) You want a well rounded child and the piano is a stepping stone to other artistic endeavors.
7) Playing the piano is a life skill which benefits others.
8) You know your teenager will need an outlet for their fluctuating hormones.
9) Your child needs to learn how others feel and playing music by different composers is a doorway into the soul of another human being.
10) You don't want to hear your child say,"I wish you had made me practice and learn the piano."
I cannot begin to count how many adults have said to me that they wish they had kept taking piano lessons. But, to date, no pianist has told me that they wished they had spent their time on something else.
So, chin up, lets go forward and listen to another semester of beautiful music.