Friday, March 11, 2016

My Teaching Manifesto


Vulnerability is not winning or losing it is the willingness to show up when you can’t control the outcome. 
– Brene Brown

The Living Brave semester is half way through and I am processing what I know and yet don't know about showing up, especially in thew arena of being a piano teacher and musician. The arts are vulnerable places for children and adults. So often, our creativity is squelched in music and art because someone gives us the message that we aren't good enough. Here is a manifesto I wrote as an assignment for class.


My Daring Greatly Teaching Manifesto

I am most curious about what could happen in my teaching career if I stay vulnerable and continue to try new things. I desire the courage to be seen as I am, not as I would like to be, which means that my weaknesses will be visible. In my heart of hearts, I know I am a good musician and teacher. Being brave to be "back on the floor again" when I try new technology or new musical skills is how I want to dare greatly. I am most passionate about being connected to my students and inspiring them to be curious and brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment