Friday, January 27, 2012

More Pattern Recognition

   My First Piano Adventures students need pattern recognition drill and it is helping them immensely. I thought about this process before and lately I have been hiding little slips of paper around the room with note patterns on them.


    For the first three minutes of the lesson I play a pattern on the piano, they look at me playing it and I ask them to tell me the notes. Then they look around the room and find that pattern on a paper.


When they bring it back to the piano we play it to check if they have the right one. It works well and this starts us out on a the right path to playing their assigned pieces.


I have a small box with patterns on the piano, ready to go when I meet their smiling faces. Hurray for chunking music patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment